Although summer is rapidly coming to a close, we seem to find ourselves with no shortage of warm evenings for backyard barbeques. They’re the perfect excuse to call your friends and keep the easy-going, summertime feelings lingering on well into September. These laid-back and (sometimes) last minute gatherings go best with some refreshing cocktails, especially using — get this — wine!
Here are three quick and easy recipes for you to throw together on these warm afternoons that will have you looking like the master mixologist of your circles.
Dark Horse Wine: In the Red
(Recipe created by Chicago-based mixologist, Alex Renshaw)
- 2 oz Dark Horse Red Blend
- .75 oz lime cordial (a mix of equal parts simple syrup + fresh lime juice)
- 2 oz tonic water
- Build in a glass, add ice and a lime wedge.
Apothic: Apple Punch
- 3 oz Apothic White
- 3 oz apple cider
- 0.5 oz simple syrup
- 2 dashes of bitters
- Splash of ginger ale
Optional: Apple Slices, for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass filled with ice.
- Roll contents (or stir well).
Barefoot Refresh: Melon Mint-jito
- 4 ounces Barefoot Refresh Crisp White
- 6-7 whole Mint Sprigs (not leaves)
- Juice from ½ Lime
- 4 1” chunks Honeydew Melon
- 2 1” slices Bosc Pear (cut lengthwise)
- ounce Simple Syrup
- 1 ½ – 2 ounces Club Soda
- Mint Sprig to garnish
- Place mint sprigs, lime juice, honeydew melon, pear and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker and muddle lightly.
- Add Barefoot Refresh Crisp White and ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a tall glass over fresh ice.
- Top with club soda. Garnish with additional mint sprig.
What’s your favorite way to wind down during the summer?
Images via Milena Mallory