Cozy up (even when it’s warm!) with your favorite glass of red wine and this vegan Italian “lasagna” bake. We all love a good Italian meal, especially one that’s satiating without all of the empty carbohydrates. This butter bean bake is a great option for vegans looking for creative ways to add protein to their diet. Comfort food is made easy with this fifteen-minute dinner.
Italian Butter Bean Bake
2 cans organic butter beans
2 organic garlic cloves
½ cup white onion, chopped
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 cup pasta or marinara sauce
½ cup Basiltops vegan pesto
1 cup shredded cheese (vegan option: Daiya cheese)
- Rinse and drain butter beans
- In a pan on medium high heat, sweat minced garlic cloves and sauté onions in olive oil. Stir continuously until onions are translucent and the garlic is aromatic.
- Pour baked beans into sautéed pan and stir to warm. Allow onion, garlic, and olive oil to mix thoroughly with beans for 2-5 minutes
- Transfer beans to bottom of baking dish.
- Cover with your favorite pasta or marinara sauce. (I recommend a flavorful pasta sauce with chunky tomatoes.)
- Place spoonful sized toppings of pesto over the beans.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place in broiler or oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Option: Serve with crusty garlic bread.
Images via Chelsea Cooper