We’re all guilty of using makeup products that are not the best for our skin. We may have a couple items in our makeup bag labeled with the words “all natural ingredients” or “organic,” but do we really know what’s in them?
Unfortunately, many products nowadays may be labeled as organic, but still contain damaging ingredients like talc, parabens, mineral oil and bismuth oxychloride. This is very misleading to us as consumers, because when we see the word “organic” we tend assume it is safe to use. However, products only need to contain 70 percent organic ingredients to be labeled that way, leaving that other 30
percent composed of manmade compounds.
While there is very little information on how synthetic ingredients used in cosmetics affect our skin, there are products you can use that are FDA approved. It is best to look for an “USDA Organic” label before purchasing your cosmetics just to be sure it has been handled with only agricultural ingredients. If there is no label, look on the back for the list of the ingredients: the less listed, the better. Here are some of our recommendations for safe organic beauty products—free of all those nasty chemicals mentioned above…
Tarte oil-free tinted moisturizer. This is the ideal foundation for those who have normal to combination skin. It is formulated without oil, so it won’t clog your pores and contains SPF 20 to protect your skin against the sun’s harmful rays. Many of Tarte’s products contain Amazonian-clay, including this foundation, which reduces dryness and flakiness (perfect for the current winter season), improves skin clarity and removes oil from the skin’s surface. The best thing about this product? It is formulated without parabens, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance and is 100 percent vegan.
Lavera Volume Mascara. This bottle of mascara adds major volume to your lashes and doesn’t contain harsh chemicals in order for it to work. Paraben- free, and made with jojoba oil and wild rose, this formula is perfect for those who suffer from sensitive skin. Lavera mascara does not clump, flake or smudge compared to most (trust me, I’ve tried!), and leaves your lashes looking full.
Ecco Bella FlowerColor Blush. Ecco Bella cosmetics contain some of the highest amounts of organic ingredients and their blush is no exception. Made of sweet almond oil, natural pigments, flower wax and vitamin E, FlowerColor Blush is safe to enough to use around the eyes. All seven colors are talc and fragrance and gluten-free. The best part about it? It’s reasonably priced at $15. Beware: this blush may contain carmine (crushed beetles), so it’s not suitable for vegans.
Physician’s Formula Shimmer Strips The nude palette shown above pairs well with any skin type, but if you’re not a fan of the softer colors, there are many other colors to choose from. The great thing about this brand is all of their products are 100 percent free of harsh chemicals, synthetic preservatives, parabens, synthetic fragrances and colors, and are cruelty free.
Juice Beauty Purely Kissable Lip Color. Juice Beauty’s products are certified “USDA Organic,” and are so healthy for your skin. Organically made by celebrity Alicia Silverstone, this lip color is blended with shea butter, acai berry, goji berry, champagne grape seed oil, passion flower, cocoa butter and sunflower oil. While delivering gorgeous color, it also provides antioxidant nourishment and long-lasting hydration throughout the day. This shade of pink looks beautiful on all skin tones.
Butter Nail Lacquer. Butter is considered a “3 free company.” What does this mean? Their polishes are formulated without the use of harmful ingredients such as formaldehyde, toluene, DBP or parabens. You know when you get that yellow-ish tint after applying nail polish to your tips? This does not happen when you use Butter. In addition, they come in hundreds of vibrant colors and are known to prevent the drying, cracking and peeling most nail polishes cause.
Now that you know what to look out for when purchasing organic, natural beauty products, remember to always look on the ingredients on the back before making a purchase. If you can’t understand the gibberish, go with your gut instinct and don’t buy it!
Image via Pinterest