The button down. Tuck, tie, unbutton, button-up. This classic shirt is versatility defined. Regardless of your personal style, you are bound to find a material and design that suits you. This gem can also be layered quite easily. Dress up a sweater with a peek of a patterned collar. Transition a sleeveless dress from summer to fall by pairing it with your favorite one. Not just for the office, the button down is an essential poolside cover-up and can even be dressed for an evening out. Endless choices abound.
Here are a few ways you can style your button down, whether you have one or many:
- Leave the bottom few buttons un-buttoned and tie. Pair with a full skirt, denim, or cropped pants.
- Layer under a pullover or cardigan sweater. Tuck into a high-waisted skirt or pair with jeans and a blazer.
- If styling with a mini skirt, tuck in and button all the way to the collar.
- Style with a scarf tied around your neck and leave the top few buttons undone.
- Tie a silk ribbon or a men’s tie around the collar.
- Layer under a sleeveless dress.
- Layer over a bodysuit and leave unbuttoned.
- Tuck into a maxi skirt.
Layer away and experiment. The button down is a classic and will be a go-to staple in your wardrobe, if it’s not already.
How do you style your favorite button down?
Photos by N.C. Winslow