How it’s already Memorial Day weekend is beyond us. We feel like we were just digging out mittens and scarves to layer ourselves against the bitter wind and now… pass the sunscreen.
Calendar whiplash aside, it’s always in season to pamper our skin when we can. Summer days in particular mean longer exposure to the elements and the higher temps often result in a greater tendency to touch our face (gotta love that upper lip sweat). So below we’ve rounded up some of our team’s tested-and-approved favorites to keep skin fresh, revived and dewy — not greasy.
Have a favorite summer product? Share with us in the comments!
1. January Labs Restorative Tonic $24 | A go-to refresher on a hot day, after a hike, at the beach or even first thing in the morning. Whenever you need a pick-me-up, spritz this blend of calming aloe, witch hazel, calendula and olive oil.
2. Trader Joe’s Virtuoso Lip Balm $4 | A classic. Minty, SPF and the perfect consistency that’s not too hard, not too smushy. What more do you need in the summer?
3. Susanne Kaufmann Moisturizing Mask $70 | Equal parts airy and emollient, sun-soaked skin will love this mask made with hazelnut oil and pansy extract (so it smells faintly like homemade marshmallows). Put a thin layer on before bed for a rich, restorative treatment.
4. mint Skin Rosa Hydration Mask $33 | Unlike traditional clay masks that can feel overly drying or flaky, this one comes in a premixed pouch that feels like silk when it hits your face. It soothes, brightens and restores thanks to its blend of Kaolin white clay, lactic acid, avocado, rose and macadamia oils.
5. PAIDU Detox Tea $21 | To love your skin from the inside out, enjoy one cup of this green tea medley encompassing dandelion root, schizandra berries, rosehips, raspberries, guayusa and more to help purify the blood and protect against toxins. Bonus: It’s the best smelling tea you’ll ever smell. (Promise.)
6. Glam Glow Thirstymud™ Hydrating Treatment $69 | To use as a mask or a moisturizer, this powerhouse goes deep to refresh, restore and plump up skin with a boost of hydration without feeling oily. (Works great for long-haul flights!)
7. ama.la Rejuvenating Collagen Mask $78 | Made with yummy cocoa bean, this mask does what it says: rejuvenate. It’s plant-based ingredients help stimulate the skin’s own collagen production and boost elasticity for a natural glow.
8. Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta® Daily Peel Packets $88 | Dare we say these could transform your skin? For a safe, peel-like experience at home, these two-packs help restore a natural radiance and correct uneven tone, texture, enlarged pores and thinning skin.
9. Trader Joe’s Lavender Sea Salt Body Scrub $16 | Another TJ’s fav, it’s hard to beat the scent and how far just a little of this goes.Even if it makes the shower slippery, this one’s a mainstay.
10. Burt’s Bees Garden Tomato Toner $12 | The best for prepping your skin before adding moisturizer, this toner is packed with vitamin A, AHAs and fruit extracts to help tighten pores, clear out any remaining makeup, dirt or oil and uses tomato extract to balance your skin’s pH.
11. Bite Beauty Multistick $24 | When your skin’s good to go, there’s no need for a ton of makeup. That’s why we love this do-it-all color stick from bite, formulated without parabens, phthalates, or sulfates. Used on eyelids, cheeks, even lips, it’s a great, lightweight way to add a pop of color.
*And an honorable mention goes out to the ol’ standby of an unrefined, virgin coconut oil face wash. Melt 1/2 T oil onto dry skin then place a washcloth (as hot as you can stand) over face for 30 seconds to allow the pores to open and absorb the oil. Then, simply wipe off.
What does your skincare routine look like in the summer months?
Feature Image via Anastasia Casey of The Identité Collective